Name: Mr Fundile David
Date of Birth: 11 October 1968
Mr Fundile David Gade is the Member of the Executive Council of the Eastern Cape Department of Education, a position he was appointed to on 27 May 2019.
• Std 10
• Diploma in education
• FDE in administration and management
• Currently doing governance and leadership diploma with Wits
• Leadership positions held
• Heading a position of being the policy head on education in the ANC Province
Positions last held /Career / Membership/Other Activities:
Mr Fundile Gade joined the Eastern Cape Provincial Legislature in 2014. He was born in Dutywa. Before joining the Legislature he worked as an Educator. He is currently single with six children. He was the Chairperson of the Portfolio Committee on Education . In 2014 he served as the whip of the ruling party ANC.
He served as the member of the following portfolio committees: Local Government and Traditional Affairs; Transport and Education.
Mr Buntu Velisibuhle Faku
Designation: Personal Assistant to MEC
Tel: +27(0)40 608 4305
Fax: +27(0)40 608 4247
Head of Department: Soyisile Nuku, Dr
- Date of Birth:
- Maritus Status: Married and blessed with two boys and two girls
Dr Soyisile Nuku is the Acting Head of Department for Eastern Cape Department of Education, a position he was appointed to on 01 April 2023.
• Std 10
• Teacher's Course
• BA (Ed), BED, MEd (Education management, and Comparative education); DEd in Education management, leadership and teacher professionalism.
Leadership positions held:
- Principal - Victor Poto High(1989 – 1996),
- District Manager – Libode (1997 – 2000),
- Director - Libode Mega District (2001 –2007),
- Seconded as a Cluster Chief Director at Head Office from 2008–2011.
- Redeployed in 2012 by Minister of Basic Education to Libode Mega District to improve learner performance after dismal performance of Grade 12 class of 2011 nationally and this was a mammoth and daunting task.
- Working with his capable district team and SMTs, he became instrumental in improving Grade 12 results where in 2012 Libode Mega District was awarded as the best improved district nationally.
- Promoted in 2013 as Chief Director at head office responsible for the administration of the office of the Superintendent General and other special projects like LAIS and business partnerships for schools improvement.
- From January 2020 to April 2021 he was Acting Deputy Director General for Institutional Operations Management
- In May 2021- appointed Deputy Director General for Institutional Operations Management.
- In 2021 he also had a short period as Acting Superintendent General of the Department of Education
- Retired from the Department of Education on 1st August 2021.
Career / Membership/Other Activities:
- Member of Biology Subject Association (1985 -1997)and a Senior Examiner for Grade 12 Biology Examinations.
- Tutor for Research Methodology and Comparative Education for the North West University (2004 -2013)
- Member of the EXCO and Chairperson of the HR Committee of the council of the University of Fort Hare (2009 - 2018).
- Currently Chairperson of Nyandeni Development Trust.
Awarded (with his hardworking District team and SMTs) in March 2013 by the Ministry of Basic Education for selfless dedication and commitment to Education service and as a leader of the most improved district in matric results in the whole country.
Ms Chantal McLean
Designation: DD:Office of the HOD
Tel: +27(0)40 608 4537